Monday, May 7, 2012

Summer 2012

I am writing this post earlier than intended as we are still 2 months away from the 1 year anniversary of this blog. But it seems that perhaps, as we once again transition from the academic year into the months of summer, this is an excellent time to take stock of where have come from and where we are presently. My year has been a transition from unemployed, to student, to self employed. And as I look back on last summer, I can't help but think that blogging and writing and creating last summer and throughout this year was an important step and good preparation for this summer's challenge of making money in video production. (As an aside if you are interested in my photographic or video services, please let me know... a website is pending.)

One of the themes of Regent this year has been the repeated phrase: "everything is gift." This provided some of the impetus for my last post on imagining gift economics. Regent's convocation student address approached similar themes reflecting on Peter's experience at Jesus' transfiguration. Educational experiences such as Regent or CBC were compared to being on that mountain... They are not places we work for and build, they are places we are brought to and moments we are given and it is good to be there... But it is neither possible set up camp there as Peter desired, or through hard work recreate or return to that time for that is not what brought you there to begin with. The truth is that how we get places is complex, filled with people, randomness, and factors beyond our control... theologically one might insert the word providence here... 

My only point here is one that I have found encouraging all year: what looks and feels like failure may be the foundation for unbelievable success. Sometimes the road to where you are going is different than anticipated, feels unrelated and is frustrating. Sometimes we find success through failure or through stagnation or through unemployment. Sometimes it's obvious how things are connected and we may feel vindicated or difficulty may feel redeemed; other times it does not appear obvious as to why particular events or experiences were part of a journey. And yet I believe the alchemy of these experiences is important in preparing and shaping us hopefully for the better, even when we are unaware or unable to articulate it. 

So I anticipate summer 2012 to be a gift, just as 2011 was, despite its unconventional nature. I certainly have hopes and ideas of what I want it to look like, but mostly I want to try and be open for the surprises, for the nice weather, for opportunities to work and opportunities to rest, opportunities to read and opportunities to write, to take picture and make pictures, to laugh and cry... I expect nothing less than the fullness of life in all its glory and sorrow for this is what we have been promised - and in the midst of it, I will attempt to trust that the joy, the boredom, the work, the stress, the rest, and the love are all shaping my soul into the gift that my life is intended to be for you. I will try and be a present in the present (Sorry. It was so perfectly cheesy that I couldn't deny it.).

No comments:

Post a Comment