Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Problem with Penal Substitutionary Atonement and How it Relates to Politics.

The following is a response to a piece written by a very eloquent and insightful friend. Garret Menges recently wrote a piece examining the theological concept of penal subtitutionary atonement and the underlying truths it covers up. The piece - entitled "The Power of Myth" - examines the obsession our society has created around the ideas of scapegoat and sacrifice. Garret points to a cultural invention that attempts to solve the inter-communal conflicts that have threatened our existence. When peace is threatened within a community, that community will attempt to find a scape goat, blame all of their problems, sins, illnesses, etc on that individual and sacrifice that individual in order to restore peace. Garret sums it up the following way:
Perceived threat to the community –> Innocent victim is chosen and accused of crimes related to the taboos of the community –> Victim is sacrificed –> Myth is told in order to validate the sacred violence –> Peace is restored to the community for a time –> Repeat
Garret points to the obvious connection between this repeated tradition and the popular Crucifixion story. In much the same way, Christ was chosen as our scapegoat and sacrificed on the cross. Because of this, our sins have been absolved and we may carry on with our lives with a new sense of inner peace and sanctity. This theological concept is known as penal substitutionary atonement (PSA).

Although PSA remains as the dominant theological doctrine within the modern church, it is beginning to see it's share of criticism. Garret takes issue with PSA because it disguises the fact that we are responsible for the murder of a sinless being.
This myth has glorified the violence of the cross to the point that we have forgotten what lies behind it: our participation in the senseless killing of an innocent man.
Not only do I agree with Garret, but I would argue that PSA is a continuation of our flawed and dangerous perception of human nature. PSA argues that violence is needed in order to preserve peace among human beings. It assumes that human beings are inherently at war with each other and will constantly be violent towards one another unless we have an external source to focus our violent energy upon.

This "scapegoat myth" is also why I have a problem with the way in which we exercise modern politics. Thomas Hobbes argued that if humans were left with complete freedom and autonomy, we would constantly fight with each other in a natural state of war. This state of war is a direct result of the combination of our unlimited self interest mixed with a scarcity of resources. Hobbes solution was to create the sovereign - the ultimate authority on the use of legitimate violence. The idea is that we subject ourselves to the laws of the sovereign in fear of its threat of violence in order to establish peace amongst ourselves.

However, I take issue with the idea of the sovereign for a number of reasons. First of all, the sovereign must rely on law, which is based on the idea of universal truths, a concept that is infinitely impossible. Although he would not have been able to even perceive the concept of nation states as we experience them today, Hobbes attempted to solve the problem of universality by drawing boundaries on the power of the sovereign. In this way, laws only need to apply to those within the sovereigns boundaries. Still, I argue that this kind of thinking only solidifies our "us and them" perception on our fellow human beings across the world. It focuses our attention on the perceived differences of each other in an exclusionary way as opposed to way of inclusion and empathy. Furthermore, I take issue with the sovereign's use (and often abuse) of violence, either threatened or actuated. When someone breaks a law, it is the responsibility of the sovereign to punish and make an example out of that individual as opposed to exploring the reasons and motivations behind that individuals crime and addressing them. In other words, the sovereign, through the use of coercion and violence, uses a "band-aid" solution in order to create short term peace - I find that dangerous, lazy, short-sighted, and only serves to promote an unhealthy perception of each other.

So what is my solution? Of course there is no easy answer to this question, although I believe it lies in a closer examination of the perception of human nature that both PSA and the model of sovereign politics builds their theories upon. That is, we believe that we are inherently competitive and self interested individuals who would rather be violent towards one another than cooperate with one another. It is fairly obvious that we make significant advances when we co-operate with each other. I could use a number of examples to prove my point; ranging from family life, to teams working on the next technological advance, to our cooperation with one another in times of extreme crises. However, I think the best example is found within the conception of human, a truly cooperative effort that has kept our species in existence for so long. In this way, we have evolved into social beings who constantly need to be connected with one another, whether that's through friendship and family, or through the social networking sites of our age. We have too much empathy built into our system to be in a constant state of war. The only way we are able to harm another human being is if we blind ourselves from their common humanity and block our empathic neurons.

My biggest problem with PSA and the sovereign model of politics is that it further perpetuates the myth that we are inherently violent creatures and that we will constantly be at war with each other. Instead, I prefer to view our violent tendencies a form of illness that have corrupted our human nature. One central thing we forget when we talk about the story of Jesus is that he is not dead. This tiny detail has huge implications when we examine his life. Jesus taught us to love one another, to recognize the common humanity within us all, and to cut out the violence towards one another. This message was so threatening to our traditional and comfortable way of thinking that we put him to death. However, Jesus resurrection demonstrated that his message cannot be extinguished even by death. Jesus took away the power of violence and coercion and replaced it with one of mutual cooperation and love.

7 comments:

  1. Greg!

    Thanks for the post. I think alot of people share you aversion to the violence of the crucifixion. However, I think there are a few things that are important to think about alongside the ideas of violence, politics and the crucifixion.

    Most importantly, from my perspective, is the clarification that we did not “chose” Christ as a scapegoat and sacrifice him. When the Jews were crucifying Christ, none of them were saying: “here is our innocent scapegoat that will take away our sins.” They were disappointed/offended/angered by him and killed him under accusations such as blasphemy. Christ’s death did not spring from a human plan or a human system of justice, but instead from a divine plan and perspective. Jesus is very clear that he laid his own life down and took it up again on his own authority; no one takes it from him (John 10:11, 17-18). Christ’s death was accomplished by Christ and was accomplished by becoming a guilt offering to satisfy a system of justice that He created in Leviticus (Isaiah 53:9-12). From my perspective PSA is set up by God very clearly in the Old Testament and is the foundation of our hope in the New Testament. To strip it of meaning is to strip Christ’s death of its power and to say that he died in vain, no?

    Understanding that this is a divine system of justice, I think it may be a bit of a stretch to conflate a critique of divine justice with a critique of human justice: that is, I think it is problematic to assume that the two systems of justice are targeting the same problem and have the same authority. God’s justice deals with offense against Him (sin) and operates on the basis of His own authority. On the other hand, man’s justice deals with all kinds of things that are not sin but are socially agreed upon conventions and gain their authority from in the same right: our law’s authority comes from the fact that we have ‘all’ agreed upon them as a society.

    All this to say, I would agree with you that it is wrong for men to choose scapegoats from among themselves to absolve each other of responsibility for injustice. However, I would not then say that it is wrong for God to lay day His own life to satisfy a system of justice that He created--a system that is concerned with offence against He himself. Now, maybe this is a dumb question, but do we even use scapegoats in modern justice/politics? Obviously people still make others take the fall for their own problems, but we would call it an injustice, no? Is there anywhere where PSA has been formalized into modern law or politics? Again, I think that perhaps the two shouldn’t be conflated. Also, I would like to hear you expand on the claim that it is a “myth that we are inherently violent creatures.” Is your position that we are naturally sinful or naturally perfect?

    Note: Sorry if any of this came across as the musings of a bitchy troll. I love/miss you and the crew and think of you guys often. In that vein: I’m coming back to Van for Christmas and would love to crush a few pints with you boys. Are you going to be around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo, also. Have you read any Hannah Arendt? I really got into her 'Between Past and Future: Eight Exercises in Political Thought' last year during my thesis. It has some awesome essays on authority, art, politics and the relationship between the three. I give it my money-back guarantee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan! Good to hear from you, and don't worry about coming off as a troll. We shall have Christmas pints soon and I don't drink with trolls... their too shifty.

      I haven't been able to dive too much into Arendt once. I spent a bit of time in her work on totalitarianism, but only a portion of it. Brilliant stuff nonetheless and I will add this collection of essay's to my reading list!

      Delete
  3. hmmm.

    I would have to think about this more... I think at the core... I really don't see the connection between the two. Other Cultures, eras and governments outside those set by a Pseudo Judeo - Christian culture have used Scapegoats and seen the need to punish some-one. I actually think that works against your main idea by giving evidence that humans will to be violent.
    I don't think you can marry the two and I don't think it would be fair to critize one by the other.
    I think you're mixing two different problems that seems related but are not
    1) You don't like how society, indivduals and governments blame everyone but themselves and are need of scapegoat. I don't think you can blame PSA for that mainly because most people in Canada and Vancouver have not grown up in A Christian background where they would be exposed to that concept. So if most of society didn't grow up being exposed to that and are still doing it would only stand to reason that if you were correct about 25% of this could be blamed on PSA. I would agree with you that this is not a good thing.
    2) I think you're resting through or having a tough time with a God who is unconditionally loving and violent and using our culture's need for denial and scapegoating and using it as a reason why not to like the PSA - when it reality I feel like you're wrestling with God who can kill and Love and somehow that doesn't work for you. and yes Ive had a hard time with it too - but I don't think we should think that because Jesus was all about grace and love every violent act was is somehow not loving.
    Remember after Jesus' resurrection, God killed Herod for not correcting the people and Annias and Sap for lying. If God is loving and therefore not violent - what was that about? Is God not loving?
    I think there are two issues going on here
    1) Society's need to use the blame game
    2)How can a God being loving and voilent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and criticisms guys. Like I said elsewhere on the internet, this is the first time that I've stretched those theological muscles and I fear that I may not have effectively communicated my point. So allow me an attempt at answering some of these criticisms and bear with me as I wrestle through this stuff.

    I guess I should first clarify my position on human nature. I believe that although humanity may have a tendency towards violence, we work much better without it. In this way, our nature is non-violence and peace, but our condition is one of violence. The point to writing this post was to demonstrate how both PSA and our sovereign system both have a reliance upon violence, thus perpetuating the myth that we will always need violence. This is where the two connect, they are both ways of moving the violence problem around without actually getting rid of it.

    I think that you are both right in saying that our modern system of justice is not the same as the "scapegoat myth," although I would still argue that the two are very closely linked in a number of ways. The most extreme example of this is found within capital punishment. We execute people in order to make an example of them. We kill one person in order to make everyone else fearful of committing murder, thus keeping the peace. Of course, capital punishment is losing popularity as of late, yet I would argue that threats of jail time are still violent acts. Of course sitting in jail is not violent in and of itself, but it still relies on on the physical violence of forcibly arresting and detaining. If you want to look more into this idea, Foucault develops it further in his book "Discipline and Punish." Dan G mentions Arendt, she also develops this theory of state coercion in order to keep the peace. And again, this is the root of the connection, the use of violence in order to keep the peace.

    In this way, I think I view the sovereign as almost an evolved version of PSA. Dan G mentions that in our society, people are in constant need of a scapegoat and that we can't blame PSA for this as our society is a secular one. Fair enough, I don't think people would be ready to recognize their need of a scapegoat on PSA. But when we look at the foundational roots of western society, one that is deeply entrenched in and born out of the theology of the Church, we might be able to see a connection. In this post, I've jumped from point C to point K, attempted to bring it into a context that takes place at point Q and tried to relate all to something that happened at point A. It's a roundabout way of connecting the dots, but that's what I'm trying to do and as result, I've missed a lot of the steps that have gotten us to this point.

    Finally, I would like to address Dan G's concern that I have taken the power away from Christ's death. I still believe that Christ's death was very important, but it's only one part of the picture. I agree that Jesus chose to die and may have known of his oncoming martyrdom, but we still put him to death. This willingness to die, to accept his death, to claim his death as his own chose, is the true power of Christ's non-violent message. When we crucified him for his threatening message, Jesus chose not to save himself, not to struggle from the grasps of his captors and call down fire from heaven to destroy his tormentors. A goat would've struggled, Peter would've pulled out his sword and fought off the guards, we would've have chosen to call in the Hostage Rescue Team with their semi-automatic rifles and flash-bombs. Instead, Christ choose the way of true non-violence because he knew that he message would live beyond him, through his death and exemplified in his resurrection.

    I hope I've sufficiently replied to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have given a very thought out and well articulated answer. Thanks so much. . Just to clarify I wasn't concerned with the idea that you might be diminish Christ's death. What I was trying to say is I think you're wrestling with two different issues Culture's scapegoating and a God who can be all loving and yet violent at the same time. I would argue that God and Jesus can be all loving and violent at the same time to argue otherwise at least to me would cultivate an attitude of an unloving God. Although I think there is a theme of non voilence in the Jesus Narrative - I don't think non violence is actually the main them running through it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...

      I'm not entirely sure how to go about addressing this except to say that perhaps it's something I will expand upon in a later blog post. What I'll say is this; I agree that God can be both loving and violent. Yet when I say that, I predicate it on two foundational assumptions. The first is an unorthodox view of what God is. The second is an assumption that although violence exists, it cannot exist in the presence of love. With that said, I understand Jesus's message was not one centred on non-violence, but on love. The message of love would then include an absence of violence.

      So in short, I have started with some assumptions that will need to be developed in some later writing.

      Delete